FAH GPU Tracker V2

FAH GPU Tracker V2 is a Folding@Home Client tracking and control program


    Website monitoring

    Share
    avatar
    JayCop
    BETA Team Member

    Posts : 43
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 30
    Location : Maine
    Job/hobbies : Custom PCs and Folding

    Website monitoring

    Post by JayCop on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:13 pm

    Feature Name: Website monitoring

    What does this feature do: Allows a single website to monitor multiple machines at different locations.

    Why would this feature be useful to be include in the tracker: Increase folding production by alerting the user to possible machine malfunctions earlier.

    I know the uploading of an XML file has been implemented into the Tracker and uploaded to a FTP so we could theoretically be pretty close to being able to have website monitor our various machines. I have a few ideas on how to implement this and could possible get a friend to setup a template for the website. I have a server that I could setup FTP accounts for testing if needed as well.
    avatar
    jedi95
    Dev Team Member

    Posts : 307
    Join date : 2010-05-26
    Job/hobbies : FAH GPU Tracker V2 Developer

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by jedi95 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:54 pm

    JayCop wrote:Feature Name: Website monitoring

    What does this feature do: Allows a single website to monitor multiple machines at different locations.

    Why would this feature be useful to be include in the tracker: Increase folding production by alerting the user to possible machine malfunctions earlier.

    I know the uploading of an XML file has been implemented into the Tracker and uploaded to a FTP so we could theoretically be pretty close to being able to have website monitor our various machines. I have a few ideas on how to implement this and could possible get a friend to setup a template for the website. I have a server that I could setup FTP accounts for testing if needed as well.

    So you are saying that you want the Tracker to be able to generate an HTML page that includes the status of the clients including clients running on remote instances? Well, for now that is a bit difficult and the only solutions I can see are:

    1. Make a website with scripts to read multiple status XML files and generate a webpage from that. (would require no modifications to the Tracker)
    2. Have one instance of the Tracker be a "master" that downloads the status XML files from the other instances then uploads the final webpage (would require adding code to download XML status files, read the files, and of course add GUI options to manage the files.)
    3. Implement a control and monitoring system into the Tracker so that it can monitor and control remote instances of itself. This would be the ideal solution, but also the most difficult to implement since I have very limited understanding of network communication code. If I did add this I would implement it similar to the system f@hutil uses (have the "slave" or remote instances try to connect to the "master" instance)


    _________________
    avatar
    JayCop
    BETA Team Member

    Posts : 43
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 30
    Location : Maine
    Job/hobbies : Custom PCs and Folding

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by JayCop on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 pm

    Of course option 3 would be awesome but as you stated would be very difficult to implement. I think going with the first option would make the most sense. I think it would work if in the web-settings option there was a way to name the individual machines. Like for this machine I would name it "875K" because that is the processor in it. Then the website would be able to differentiate it from another system named "1055T" for instance if the name of the XML file could integrate the name of the system. I think control of the systems would be less important since there are other ways to accomplish taking control of the systems. I use logmein so as long as I had a way to quickly check on my systems I would be able to decide if I need to log in and change anything remotely. Also wouldnt it be sweet to see the PPD of all your machines from one neat webpage you could show off to your geeky friends Very Happy
    avatar
    jedi95
    Dev Team Member

    Posts : 307
    Join date : 2010-05-26
    Job/hobbies : FAH GPU Tracker V2 Developer

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by jedi95 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:35 pm

    JayCop wrote:Of course option 3 would be awesome but as you stated would be very difficult to implement. I think going with the first option would make the most sense. I think it would work if in the web-settings option there was a way to name the individual machines. Like for this machine I would name it "875K" because that is the processor in it. Then the website would be able to differentiate it from another system named "1055T" for instance if the name of the XML file could integrate the name of the system. I think control of the systems would be less important since there are other ways to accomplish taking control of the systems. I use logmein so as long as I had a way to quickly check on my systems I would be able to decide if I need to log in and change anything remotely. Also wouldnt it be sweet to see the PPD of all your machines from one neat webpage you could show off to your geeky friends Very Happy

    Not exactly what I had in mind for #1. What I mean was, that if a user wanted a webpage with all the clients on it they would need to set up a webhost, the have all the instances of the Tracker they are running upload the status XML files like this:
    www.mysite.com/tracker/status1.xml
    www.mysite.com/tracker/status2.xml
    www.mysite.com/tracker/status3.xml

    And then the page that actually displays the content would have a script that runs and pulls the data from the XML files. You could name them through the HTML since each instance will always upload the same XML file.


    _________________
    avatar
    MaGXiX
    FAH-WT Master Dev
    FAH-WT Master Dev

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2010-10-27
    Age : 24
    Location : Colorado, stuck with cadbane.
    Job/hobbies : your mom

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by MaGXiX on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:44 pm

    I am currently working on an idea for this, Vader and I where talking about this, and i have some background in doing stuff like this, and it could also be used in other applications such as a monitoring Program for ur pc, or even an android phone Wink

    My idea was based around a secure database/website where you register, and register each pc and then the program would write/read to the specific database on the server within its user/pass and then you could read that easily.

    heirarchy:

    Website/Database
    =USERNAME
    ---MACHINE1
    ---MACHINE2
    ---MACHINE3
    ---MACHINE..
    ---MACHINE9999

    user goes to www.website.com/username
    see's stats. (read only)
    goes to www.website.com logins changes settings (Read/write with login)
    FAHT (FAH tracker) updates settings based off www.website.com/username (autoupdate of ~1update/10seconds? can edit setting maybe?)
    FAHT also will write to that server with ur user/pass and update those stats... EACH PC MUST HAVE INDEPENDENT ID'S

    This would also allow us some awesome forum sigs by pulling that data off of that site, among other things. since it is so flexible an accessable anywhere and not "remote pc" it could be read/written to from anything with internet.

    maybe i call it faht-mod/fahtmoderator/fahtbox?
    cheers


    This would allow EXTREMELY easy and barely any modification to FAHtracker and also allow one single website with FLEXIBIlITY for multiple users, and we could even track user ppd...
    idk i know i am implementing this as a side program for myself, and if jedi would wish to implement it i would gladly be of help..
    avatar
    JayCop
    BETA Team Member

    Posts : 43
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 30
    Location : Maine
    Job/hobbies : Custom PCs and Folding

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by JayCop on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:15 pm

    I was thinking basically the same thing Jedi. The naming of the xml before upload I thought would help avoid confusion for people with many machines at various locations. I would have setups labeled as "Office Disp", "Office Lab", "Office Recp", "Laptop", "875K" ect... The script could then easily pickup which status/stats came from what machine and display it like.

    875K
    SMP Running 13,000PPD
    GPU0 Running 10,00PPD

    Office Disp
    SMP Running 4,000PPD

    1055T
    SMP Running 11,000PPD

    All of which could be dressed up to look nice and such.



    Magixix the android app would be awesome! My droid would appreciate it
    Cool
    avatar
    MaGXiX
    FAH-WT Master Dev
    FAH-WT Master Dev

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2010-10-27
    Age : 24
    Location : Colorado, stuck with cadbane.
    Job/hobbies : your mom

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by MaGXiX on Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:13 am

    I'll get-r done Wink

    -side note umm should i use my free host, or is someone /cadbane/jedi95 willing to let me use their site/host for the sql databasing?

    I'll do preleminary testing on my server, then maybe the main final version can be on jedi95's?
    avatar
    JayCop
    BETA Team Member

    Posts : 43
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 30
    Location : Maine
    Job/hobbies : Custom PCs and Folding

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by JayCop on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:56 am

    magxix wrote:I'll get-r done Wink

    -side note umm should i use my free host, or is someone /cadbane/jedi95 willing to let me use their site/host for the sql databasing?

    I'll do preleminary testing on my server, then maybe the main final version can be on jedi95's?

    I just got one which I would be willing to try it out on. I don't know how long I would be able to do it for. The site says that everything is unlimited but I read the TOS and there seems to be "fair use" restrictions. So not sure if I would be able to do it when the millions and millions of people start hitting it up Wink
    avatar
    MaGXiX
    FAH-WT Master Dev
    FAH-WT Master Dev

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2010-10-27
    Age : 24
    Location : Colorado, stuck with cadbane.
    Job/hobbies : your mom

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by MaGXiX on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:44 pm

    i like your avatar, ferrari scuderia? i thinks Wink

    (edit i think its based off the f430 or it's a f430-scuderia version or something, i just know they are tied.)


    Last edited by magxix on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    JayCop
    BETA Team Member

    Posts : 43
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 30
    Location : Maine
    Job/hobbies : Custom PCs and Folding

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by JayCop on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:40 am

    Yea its the scuderia. Ferrari makes the sexiest cars in the world.
    avatar
    MaGXiX
    FAH-WT Master Dev
    FAH-WT Master Dev

    Posts : 9
    Join date : 2010-10-27
    Age : 24
    Location : Colorado, stuck with cadbane.
    Job/hobbies : your mom

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by MaGXiX on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:20 pm

    im sorry to say but sexiest cars in the world, lamborghini muira.. and the Ford gt40/gulf. (thank you top gear) and one of my favorites, the Pagani Zonda. not for its outside "looks" but for the view you get while you are driving... check this out.


    O-M-G a supercar with a view that is better than the car, most super-cars have the shitiest views ever check out the lambo diablo's rear view mirror, umm 4in by 12in viewspace? wdf?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Website monitoring

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:00 pm