FAH GPU Tracker V2

FAH GPU Tracker V2 is a Folding@Home Client tracking and control program

Custom Gaming Pause disable (disable certain gpus for certain games)

Marthian

Custom Gaming Pause disable (disable certain gpus for certain games)

Post by Marthian on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:37 am

I was thinking about SLI, and not quite sure how it works in some cases, but I was thinking: There are games out there that run just fine on one GPU, you don't really need two GPUs to play it, and then there are others that would benefit from multiple GPUs. If it's possible, I think a per program Gaming Pause function might be very interesting. Also, considering the variety of GPUs that are able to be in Crossfire or SLI, it would be useful to allow the user to choose which applications do this.

Example:

source engine games don't really need two GPUs, so one GPU is disabled to render those games, the other one is still folding.
    Metro 2033 is a hardware intensive game, so you would benefit from having two GPUs rendering the game, so it would stop both GPU clients.
    jedi95
    Dev Team Member

Job/hobbies : FAH GPU Tracker V2 Developer

Re: Custom Gaming Pause disable (disable certain gpus for certain games)

Post by jedi95 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:37 pm

Marthian wrote:I was thinking about SLI, and not quite sure how it works in some cases, but I was thinking: There are games out there that run just fine on one GPU, you don't really need two GPUs to play it, and then there are others that would benefit from multiple GPUs. If it's possible, I think a per program Gaming Pause function might be very interesting. Also, considering the variety of GPUs that are able to be in Crossfire or SLI, it would be useful to allow the user to choose which applications do this.

Example:

source engine games don't really need two GPUs, so one GPU is disabled to render those games, the other one is still folding.
    Metro 2033 is a hardware intensive game, so you would benefit from having two GPUs rendering the game, so it would stop both GPU clients.

This would work nice if you could enable/disable Crossfire/SLI seamlessly, (similar to Nvidia's Optimus switchable graphics in laptops) but that isn't the case. Since you manually have to stop all the FAH clients to toggle SLI or Crossfire anyway, I don't see the point.

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 am