FAH GPU Tracker V2

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FAH GPU Tracker V2

FAH GPU Tracker V2 is a Folding@Home Client tracking and control program

2 posters

Optional retention of old fahlog in work folder

jay9228jay

Optional retention of old fahlog in work folder Empty Optional retention of old fahlog in work folder

Post by jay9228jay Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:56 am

Feature Name:

option to retain old fahlog.txt

What does this feature do:

prevents fahtracker from deleting the fahlog aftr a completed wu

Why would this feature be useful to be include in the tracker:

specifically for me, I run 3 rigs for folding, but since they are all in my basement to keep heat and noise away from my upstairs I monitor all the clients from my laptop which does not fold using HFM.. I would like to see if any clients have failed for any reason, but since the fahlog gets wiped I have to go downstairs and look on each individual rig's fahtracker records to check them. If the fahlog stayed the way it does when running a normal client without the tracker, you can see the number of completed/failed wu's from one central monitoring point (hfm, or a separate monitor only console you havent started writing yet *hint)

I think this would be an option others would appriciate also. I am unaware of why fahtracker deletes the log each time also.. anyone able to explain that one?

Thanks
    - Jay
    jedi95
    jedi95
    Dev Team Member

Job/hobbies : FAH GPU Tracker V2 Developer

Optional retention of old fahlog in work folder Empty Re: Optional retention of old fahlog in work folder

Post by jedi95 Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Changing this behavior would require redesigning a significant part of the Tracker's client control code. There are many functions that rely on FAHlog.txt containing exactly 1 WU worth of log entries. Changing this would take a great deal of time.

Then, features like Heat Control wouldn't work at all since they require the -oneunit shutdown. And finally, it would no longer be possible to switch to oneunit mode in the middle of a WU without restarting the client.

I think the best solution to this would be to add a feature that allows the Tracker to monitor other instances of itself through the status.xml file. I would need to add a WU failure count or some other way of monitoring problems. I might decide to make this a standalone program, but I don't know yet.

Expect to see some solution to this problem, but not in the immediate future. Something like this is going to take time.
    jay9228jay

Optional retention of old fahlog in work folder Empty Re: Optional retention of old fahlog in work folder

Post by jay9228jay Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:43 pm

Ok, thanks for the quick response, and thanks also for writing this great tool.

EDIT: I thought I had an idea, turns out it would not work..

I'll be happy to beta test any possible solutions whenever they are available. Thanks for looking into this,
    Cheers
    - Jay

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am