FAH GPU Tracker V2

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FAH GPU Tracker V2

FAH GPU Tracker V2 is a Folding@Home Client tracking and control program

2 posters

Annoying whistling sound when using the GPU

qubit

Annoying whistling sound when using the GPU Empty Annoying whistling sound when using the GPU

Post by qubit Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:38 am

I ran the tracker, set everything up and got just the GPU to do the work. However, there's the most annoying modulated high-pitched whistling sound coming from the speakers and also directly from the graphics card (GTX 580). It's clearly audible and not possible to ignore, so it's no go. While I didn't expect the audio breakthrough, I expected the graphics card to make some noise, from previous experience of driving cards at very high framerates. I guess I could throttle it back a bit, but it's still gonna make a noise, just less, so it's pointless.

I'm currently running it on the CPU. Note that I'm using the single core client on my dual core E8500, because my current cooling can't handle the heat.
    JayCop
    JayCop
    BETA Team Member

Job/hobbies : Custom PCs and Folding

Annoying whistling sound when using the GPU Empty Re: Annoying whistling sound when using the GPU

Post by JayCop Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Not sure what the speaker noise is but, the sound coming from the video card itself is capacitor whine. The high pitch sound is emitted from the card when pushed to full capacity. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a solutions. Some cards just have it. My Asus GTX460 had it and my Asus GTX580 doesn't. I had a GTX460 from MSI and it didnt have it.