FAH GPU Tracker V2

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FAH GPU Tracker V2

FAH GPU Tracker V2 is a Folding@Home Client tracking and control program

3 posters

One annoying issue

snowbird48

One annoying issue Empty One annoying issue

Post by snowbird48 Thu May 19, 2011 5:39 pm

I have been running Tracker since Feb./11 and overall it has worked very well. It auto updated to ver. 3.52 and kept going. The only thing that comes up now and then concerns GPU2. If both GPU'S finish close together when the second GPU starts they both drop to about 50% usage and do not seem to be folding properly and graphic display slows down to point of jerky. The easy fix has been to stop them both and restart them about 30 seconds apart. Is this a pecularity of my machine? THe GPU's are nvidia gtx285's, one an original reference p891, the other a p892. Neither is oc'd. It does not seem to matter if SLI is on or off. I have watched it happen by using EVGA Precision monitoring tools. I am using a 1250W PSU(Enermax Galaxy Evo)so I do not think that is the issue. The mobo is an Asus R3E. The i7 920 is OC to 3622MHz. I have advanced cooling so nothing gets hot. OS is windows 7/64 bit.
    jedi95
    jedi95
    Dev Team Member

Job/hobbies : FAH GPU Tracker V2 Developer

One annoying issue Empty Re: One annoying issue

Post by jedi95 Thu May 19, 2011 6:30 pm

This is an issue with the FAH clients/cores and adding a workaround for a single user just isn't practical.
    snowbird48

Post by snowbird48 Fri May 20, 2011 12:23 pm

Thanks Jedi, the number of times this has occured in over 2200 WU's (4) would not warrant a workaround, especially when it is so easy to correct.
    b-morgan

Post by b-morgan Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:31 am

I have what I think is a similar issue with EVGA GTX 470 graphics card, EVGA Precision 2.0.3, and tracker 3.52. A WU is running at 100% GPU (fan at 100%, GPU Temp 80) and I run a game (World of Warcraft). After exiting the game, the WU resumes but not at the same speed as when it was paused. I have to reboot the system to get back to the original performance.

It appears as if the game configures the GPU differently than the folding software and the folding software doesn't reconfigure the GPU back when it resumes. I'm not sure who is a fault here. Stopping and starting the GPU with tracker doesn't correct the issue.

Is there anything that can be done?
    snowbird48

Post by snowbird48 Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi b-morgan. My fix has been to shut down the wu's and then exit(shut off) Tracker. I then restart the Tracker and resume one wu. I watch it on EVGA Precision to make sure the GPU is being exploited normally(98-100%). After three or four frames I restart the other wu and watch for a while. If things are okay I let them run. I have not had to do a complete system s/d to get them going again. jedi95 has said this is a known issue and no work around is planned. In view of plans to rewrite Tracker for v7 I don't think one will ever be seen.
    * The only time I see this problem is when both GPU's are starting a new wu at literally the same time. Other than that the Tracker just motors on. Every system is a little different. Good luck with finding a solution.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:32 pm